March 28, 2015

Savory Protein Waffles



There is a restaurant in St. George, Utah that has a bomb of an oatmeal dish. I know, I know... who orders oatmeal at a restaurant?! But, seriously, the Bear Paw Cafe's Grandma's Oatmeal reads like this on the menu:
We cook each order just for you. The best rolled oats, covered with fat free granola and grapenuts. Sprinkled with brown sugar, add some pecans and drizzle with maple syrup. Served with pitcher of steamed milk.
It reads deliciously, but tastes amazing. I crave it, I tell you.

So, I searched Pinterest for amazing oatmeal recipes this weekend to hopefully satisfy my craving for that delicious bowl, since I don't live in St. George. I found a recipe for crockpot apple spice oatmeal, brewed it up, and let it cook while I was at work for 9.5 hours. When I got home the house was aromatic of thanksgiving apple pie. I was stoked. But, upon removing the glass top off the crockpot I discovered the mush, entirely disintegrated oats, and most of it burned to the bottom of the pan. I sadly scrapped it all into the trash.


With my heart set on breakfast for dinner, I remembered I had frozen some protein waffles and threw one in the toaster. Then decided to make it savory. And dinner was saved! So, here is my recipe for quick, protein, savory waffles. Enjoy!


Savory Protein Waffles

Yields: 6 Waffles/Servings

Full List of Ingredients

  • 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 1 cup 2% cottage cheese
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 12 Eggs (2 per waffle)
  • 1 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
  • 3 cups spinach/lettuce, chopped
  • 3 cups Salsa Verde

Instructions

For the waffles, combine the oats, cottage cheese, eggs, vanilla, and baking powder in a blender. Pulse until oats are finely blended. Once blended, ladle into hot waffle iron one waffle at a time. Should make about 6 waffles. 
Cook eggs to your preference. I would highly recommend them as over easy, but unfortunately not everyone enjoys them that way.
Build your waffle by spreading a layer of greek yogurt (about 2 tbsp), then layer with 2 eggs, and top with spinach and salsa verde. Serve warm!

Additional toppings I've tried on these: pico de gallo, avocado/guacamole, shredded mozzarella, black beans, green onions.


Recipe inspired by waffle recipe from CherieRunsThis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

MizunoUSA.com! Never Settle! Shop Mizuno Team Sports! Baseball, Softball, Vollyball! Free Shipping on Orders of $100 - USE CODE: MIZUNO888!