August 05, 2013

Erase Me

[Ben Folds Five]

So part of my getting back on the healthy wagon, is to shed a few pounds and get my weight back in order.

I've tried a lot of diets over the years. Surprise, surprise -- none of them are sustainable.

But, for me, eating what I want but keeping a food journal DOES work. I end up eating healthier in portion size and nutritional value. And it's been mostly sustainable.


I've mentioned Lose it! before, but I've never discussed HOW I use the app. So here's the run down:

1. Download the [free] Lose It! app

2. Weigh yourself

3. Enter your weight into the app and enter your goal weight.


The app will calculate your calorie allotment based on your weight and how many pounds per week you want to lose.
Goals > Modify Program > My Plan
However, since I've been studying Nutrition in school and personally, I've found that the calculation they have exceeds the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). [BMR is the amount of calories your body burns per day, in a rested state.] By using the Lose It! number the actual weight loss you see won't match the goal number they provide -- causing frustration after self-control and dedication to using the app.

But, luckily, you can calculate this number and alter the app, so that you can see success.

Because it's a GREAT app!

How to do the alteration:

4. Reset your goal back to "Maintain current weight"

Goals > Modify Program > My Plan
5. Calculate your [at rest] Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) using the following calculation.

  • Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
  • Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
My BMR = 1381.35

6. Multiply the BMR number by your job/daily activity [don't include workouts]
  • Sedentary (desk jobs): BMR x 1.2
  • Lightly active (standing jobs): BMR x 1.375
  • Moderately active (heavy lifting jobs): BMR x 1.55
  • Very active (personal trainers): BMR x 1.725
  • Extra active (professional athletes): BMR x 1.9
My Activity BMR = 1657.62

7. Subtract your BMR from the "Maintenance" calorie budget Lose It! provided.

1890-1657.62 = 232.38

8. Adjust your calorie budget by this number.

Goals > Modify Program > Daily Calorie Budget
>Adjustment
 9. Lastly, update your plan to the number of pounds you want to lose per week.

Goals > Modify Program > My Plan
IMPORTANT NOTE: notice the disclaimer in the screenshot below. It is unhealthy to go under 1200 calories per day. I could list all the reasons... but maybe that's another post for another day. Just please don't go there. It will mess you up...


That's it.. you are on your way towards your goal. And guess what?! It's not that far fetched... I am sure of it, with Lose It! I've lost 20 pounds and 6% body fat using it.


How does technology help you stay on track? Do you use a food journal?


Help team #highnuun get to Ragnar Colorado!
Vote daily through August 9th!
http://gotchocolatemilk.com/team-refuel/high-noon

No comments:

Post a Comment

MizunoUSA.com! Never Settle! Shop Mizuno Team Sports! Baseball, Softball, Vollyball! Free Shipping on Orders of $100 - USE CODE: MIZUNO888!