February 22, 2012

Burnin' Up

[Jonas Brothers]

I am a treadmill runner 3 out of 4 runs a week. I enjoy running outside, but the treadmill has a lot of perks I usually can't pass up:

1. It is more convenient for me.
2. You can keep your exercise routine even on snowy days.
3. You don't get honked at, whistled at, or cat-called.
4. Or have run ins with ferocious dogs [but, then again, EVERY dog is ferocious in my eyes].
5. You can track your stats more accurately.
6. You can work on your form.
7. You can control the speed and incline.
  
As I've been reading this book, I've been made more aware of making every minute of my workouts count towards my goals and not wasting energy on just getting in the 'time spent at the gym'.

Sometimes the treadmill can be an easy place to throw out a consistent, droning workout. But, let's not get into these ruts.

I've mentioned this before, but running on a treadmill at 0% is like running down hill. So, the first change you need to make, if you haven't already done so, is to increase your incline to 1-1.5% grade to simulate the experience you get running outside. (For more information on why this is necessary read this awesome article.)

Beyond this, keep your intensity up by changing up your running routine. You can do this by doing speed work, such as interval training and fartleks, hill repeats, changing volume and speed, or mimicking an outside run with rolling hills...Try to change up your routine at a minimum every two weeks.

This week, I've been working on my hill training. My next race has pretty much ZERO incline. So why am I training hills? Because hill work can actually build your muscles more than any strength training exercise.

I did this workout last night and it kicked my butt, but I felt awesome afterwards.  I'd like to challenge you to give it a try.

Workout: The Pyramid
Warm-Up

Set 1: steady pace 1 minute each @ 4, 5 and 6 percent incline
2-3 minutes recovery @ flat jog

Set 2: steady pace 1 minute each @ 5, 6 and 7 percent incline
2-3 minutes recovery @ flat jog

Set 3: steady pace 1 minute each @ 6, 7 and 8 percent incline
2-3 minutes recovery @ flat jog

Set 4: steady pace 1 minute each @ 7, 6 and 5 percent incline
2-3 minutes recovery @ flat jog

Set 5: steady pace 1 minute each @ 6, 5 and 4 percent incline
2-3 minutes recovery @ flat jog

Cool-down
(Source for 'The Pyramid' workout was found here.)

Are you crazy like me and like running on a treadmill? Or do you dread it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

MizunoUSA.com! Never Settle! Shop Mizuno Team Sports! Baseball, Softball, Vollyball! Free Shipping on Orders of $100 - USE CODE: MIZUNO888!