June 06, 2012

Break on Through

[The Doors] 
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
― Shel Silverstein
It seems like the shouldn'ts, impossibles, and won'ts are more often than not coming from within myself.

It's why I wear this bracelet. [Thanks again, Lisa]



I need the constant reminder that anything can be; That when I put the work in and am postive that what I want can be a reality. It's only myself holding me back. And I won't allow it.

This brings me to a good example of this.

I've been attending a Master swim class over the past few months. Despite my discouraged attitude, the fellow swimmers, triathletes, and coach have continued to cheer me on and show faith in that I will be ready for the race.

Back in April, I started my twice weekly regimen of swimming. Once at Masters to better my form and continue to learn. The other workout focused on increasing my continuous swim distance.

For this second workout, I started doing pyramid workouts. I believe I've already mentioned this before, so this might sound familiar. When I started in April it was, 25-50-25 (in meters, with a short rest period between each 10-60 seconds). Repeat, repeat, and repeat for an hour. The next week 25-50-75-50-25. And so on I'd increase my top pyramid by 25m each week. This increase was killer for me. Not only did I increase by 25m, but it also added in a second instance of my previous weeks distance increase.

This week I increased to 25-50-75-100-125-150-175 and back down. With the race being 7 weeks away (52 days to be exact) and having to get to a consecutive 1560m swim I was getting scared  [understatement]. Would I make it? At my increase I would only make it to 350m by race week. That's NOT gonna cut it...it's impossible for me to swim that far, I won't get there, maybe I shouldn't do the race....shouldn'ts, impossibles, won'ts.

But, I am not a quitter. I was/am giving it my all and then will see where I am at the week of the race. I've already paid for it. Why stop?

So I entered the pool monday and swam like any other training day.

Putting in the time.


Putting in the work.


Pressing forward.

I went through the first pyramid feeling better than the normal increase training days.

I started a second pyramid knowing fully well that I wouldn't be able to fit in the full set in the pool time I had left. So I decided to reach the 175m top and then call it quits for the day.

As I looked at the clock during the rest period between 150m and 175m I realized that I had still some time before the hour was up. So I made a decision to just see how far I could swim, rather than complete the hour doing drills or decreasing the mileage back down.

I swam the 175m.

I swam another 50m...

...and another 50m.

I stopped counting. Just kept swimming.

I felt like I could keep going when I stopped. But, I hate lane hogs, so I got out.

But, as I toweled off, it was like something snapped.

I could really do this. 
This IS possible.

All my time [literally] fighting for air. The drills. The coaching. The mental fight. And I was now seeing some hope.

I'll have to relay to you someday the details behind why I think this is now happening. But, it's happening. This Triathlon is possible.
Anything is possible. Anything can be. 
-Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

MizunoUSA.com! Never Settle! Shop Mizuno Team Sports! Baseball, Softball, Vollyball! Free Shipping on Orders of $100 - USE CODE: MIZUNO888!