August 27, 2013

Heart Rate Healing

I've spent most of the year injured, after having spent months working up to an attempt to qualify for the 2014 Boston Marathon.

It's been mostly my quad injury leftover from the said attempt at the Salt Lake Marathon in April. However, I dealt with some IT Band issues after Ragnar Wasatch Back and then broke my toe right before Spudman. Unfortunately, I was still dealing with the remains of all these injuries going into training for Ragnar Colorado.

I knew I needed to do something. I was breaking. But, what to do? Short of complete rest (not an option -- and something I had already tried for a couple weeks), I wasn't sure how to better my situation.

Until I read this post by my new #highnuun teammate, Rebekah.

I am considering getting a coach [ahem, if any of you have recommendations I'd love to hear them] to help me qualify for Boston in 2014. But, for now, I was simply intrigued that her coach advised her to use her heart rate monitor.

I owned one. Still in the package. 

Why not give it a try?

I removed it from the plastic, strapped it on, and started running by heart rate zone, rather than pace [via pace wheel].

It made me slow down by 30 seconds per mile, at first. This was discouraging, but I stuck with it. AND, I am so glad I did... because, it's working... [Knock on wood]


I finally got back in the 7 minute per mile range, for my tempo peak miles, last night and I feel injury free.

I am so excited. 

Ragnar Colorado is going to be SO. MUCH. FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MizunoUSA.com! Never Settle! Shop Mizuno Team Sports! Baseball, Softball, Vollyball! Free Shipping on Orders of $100 - USE CODE: MIZUNO888!