July 16, 2012

Set Fire to the Rain

[Adele]

This gloomy weather has sure messed up my training schedule. With the race in 12 days that's not the best thing.

This weekend's open water swim didn't happen. I was scheduled for a run and a swim this weekend. I moved the run up to Saturday when rain was forecasted in hopes Sunday would be clear. I ran 8.5 miles after eating Tacotime with the family. I tried to get out of it, but lunch together after our annual garage sale is tradition. So I regretfully caved. It was a horrible, bad, painful idea [the Tacotime, not the garage sale -- I made $60 off my junk]. End of the story: worst run I've had probably this entire year. I just felt heavy and sluggish.
Family photo at the garage sale.
Top to Bottom (L-R): Kels, Hilz, Mom, Oz, Malia, Me, Joff, and Krick
All my siblings, minus Dano.
Sunday, it rained again. SO I decided to move my swim to Monday and move my Yoga up a day. I struggled with that, too. I think I've been eating so well that I was still suffering from my poor choice of food the day before. I had a junk food hangover. My body wasn't having it. But nonetheless, I made it through the hour.

Today, I woke up to blue skies. I packed my swim gear fully planning to hit the Rec center pool after work. The day went on with sunshine. But, as I was leaving work I could see the dark clouds moving in. Not again! Rescheduling for the third time, I pushed my swim back and moved up my speed work run.

However, with the clouds looming the temperatures had dropped to the 80s. I decided rain or not I was taking my speed work outside to take advantage of the cooler weather. I ran my first fartlek run, well my first conscious fartlek...I just learned what this speed session actual entails recently. I also explored a new route, which I rather enjoyed.

The first 3 miles rain drizzled lightly on me. Then it started to rain more. Then pour down. I had water dripping down my face. Off my hands. I was soaked. But I had a great time. I only recall a couple runs in the past where I got this wet. (1) The last long run before my first half-marathon. Remember that run, Nate? We were covered in gnats and sopping wet. Haha. (2) When I used to run with my brother-in-law, Patrick, there was a time or two where we returned home drenched. I recall those runs being miserable. But today, it felt great. I was on fire. (And I am not talking about the record number of honks I got..it was getting kind of silly. If you are looking for some catcalls to boost your self-esteem go for a run in the rain. You'll get more than you can count on your hand.)

Seriously though, after some setbacks this weekend it felt great to dominate the road. I fought the wind and rain and still came out 7.34 miles later with having beat my 10k record time by an entire minute (Old PR exactly 53'00").

(PS - if I haven't said it...I LOVE the new NIKE+ website!)
That's right. I'm killer tough. [Tough isn't usually a word I'd use to describe myself, so I'm taking the opportunity to use it now. You know...while I can.]

Post run.
You can't really tell but I was dripping from head to toe.
Now, I've got my swim training piled up for the next few days....so is it too much to ask for a little sunshine? Pretty please...

ALSO, if you are interested, my stellar sister-in-law Crystal has recently started a fitness blog (eatcleanandtraindirty.blogspot.com). She's done a spotlight on me today. Hop over there to read our Q&A session. And then keep reading the rest of her posts. I really like the conversation about diet vs. regular soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MizunoUSA.com! Never Settle! Shop Mizuno Team Sports! Baseball, Softball, Vollyball! Free Shipping on Orders of $100 - USE CODE: MIZUNO888!